Tuesday, October 4, 2011

General Conference Highlights 2011

_IMG_4243

Who were your three favorite speakers?

President Thomas S. Monson (multiple talks, I love that he announced the temple fund that will pay for a one-time temple trip for those that would otherwise be unable to go!)

President Boyd K. Packer (Saturday morning, he has such a distinctive voice, I enjoyed his stories from his childhood, and I like his repetition – the children today are being born in enemy territory)

Sister Elaine S. Dalton (Sunday morning, to Fathers of Daughters. What a great message! This is the number one talk I hope we study as one of the Teachings for our Times lessons.)

 

Which talk spoke to you the most?

It’s hard to pick one. Probably one of these:

Elder Neil L. Andersen (Saturday afternoon) about having families

Elder Ian S. Ardern (Saturday afternoon) about using time wisely

 

What was your favorite hymn and why did it move you?

Consider the Lilies by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in the Sunday morning session. Abby liked it, too.

_IMG_4254

It is a beautiful song, but it was more than that. I felt throughout the conference such encouragement and hope and this song really put words to those feelings.

 

Which speaker was the best dressed? (Come on, we can have a little fun.)

I don’t know, but my 3-year-old daughter was excited that Sister Dalton was wearing purple just like her. _IMG_4268

 

Were there any topics that you felt like were repeated often? Any conference themes?

*The Book of Mormon, importance of studying it, gaining a testimony of it

*Not to fear

*Use technology/social media & time wisely

*Heavenly Father desires to bless us but we need to ask. I loved the back to back talks Sunday afternoon of Elder Bennett (his near drowning experience where the life guard had circled around the current and was waiting for him to call for help) and Elder Cornish (who talked of praying to find a quarter so he could buy a chicken thigh on his way home). 

 

Share a few of your favorite quotes from any of the talks (paraphrasing is fine).

I’ll be glad when they release the printed versions:

*President Packer had some great quotes and promises about being protected if we follow the promptings of the holy ghost

*President Eyring had a quote about the Book of Mormon changing character I’d like to go back and look up

*Elder Cook had a quote about the tender mercies of the Lord, many of which we are unaware of

*President Uchtdorf: Man is nothing compared to God but to God, man is everything

 

Name something(s) that made you smile or laugh during conference.

Elder Alonzo (Saturday morning) when he talked of looking for his son that was lost and commented that they didn’t stop to have a planning meeting.

Bill’s orange-cinnamon rolls that he made on Sunday made me smile!_IMG_4316

 

Was there any evidence that your children paid attention?

There were a few moments:

_IMG_4306

_IMG_4293

_IMG_4291

When Elder Bennett (Sunday afternoon) told the story of his 3-year-old granddaughter being given the choice between eating dinner and having ice cream or not eating her dinner and going to bed without ice cream, Sandy said, “I like to go to bed because I get tired.”

After Elder Cook’s (Sunday afternoon), Sandy said, “He said Amen. We say Amen to prayers and to talks, too.”

 

What doctrine did you learn as you listened to the choir(s) sing?

I thought “I’ll Go Where You Want me to Go” was a fitting song after Elder Ballard’s Sunday morning talk about using the correct name of the church (I’ll say what you want me to say).

 

Did the music enhance your General Conference experience? How?

Yes. I loved the primary choir in the Saturday afternoon session. It was wonderful to hear the children singing.

I also loved when the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang I Believe in Christ after President Monson’s talk (one of the Sunday ones, I can’t remember which one now).

 

What are some of your post-conference goals?

*To read a conference talk with my scriptures before I go to bed. I’m hoping to get through the conference Ensign several times before next conference.

*Evaluate time spent on computer – i.e., waste less time

*Pray more for divine help with daily struggles

*Remember (more consistently) President Monson in my prayers and in our family prayers

 

And here are a few more pictures:

_IMG_4305

_IMG_4278

_IMG_4239

 

Note: These questions came from here.

5 comments:

Cellista said...

Love what Sandy said about going to bed. :) And those orange cinnamon rolls look so yummy!

I'm excited about the temple trip fund as well.

Stephanie said...

Love your answers, and you took some great pictures. Thank you for playing along. Conference rocks.

Becky said...

I loved your daughter's comments too. She's learning early; you should be proud of yourself (in a good way).

Tristan said...

Loved reading your answers. Aren't little ones amazing? They often notice the spirit so much better than we do - I love conference for that!

K and M said...

Love that conference recap! So cute. But I have to disagree with your best dressed choice - that should go hands-down to Pres. Uchtdorf. Any man who wears 4 ties over the course of 2 days of sessions deserves some recognition. :)